Dealing with a road traffic offence can be a very daunting experience, especially if it is your first with police and courts. If you are in need of any legal services, the dedicated team here at K Boswell & Co are the best solicitors to talk to.
We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
The fee includes:
- 2 hours attendance/preparation
- Considering evidence
- Taking your instructions
- Providing advice on likely sentence and representation at a single hearing at the Magistrates Court
The fee does not include:
- Instruction of any expert witnesses
- Taking statements from any witnesses
- Advice and assistance in relation to a special reasons hearing
- Advice or assistance in relation to any appeal
The key stages of your matter are based on the presumption that you will enter a guilty plea and have a date for your hearing.
- Meet with your solicitor to provide instructions on what happened.
- We will consider initial disclosure, and any other evidence and provide advice.
- Arranging to take any witness statements if necessary (this will have an additional cost, of £100 per hour).
- We will explain the court procedure to you so you know what to expect on the day of your hearing, and the sentencing options available to the court.
- We will conduct any further preparatory work, obtain further instructions from you if necessary and answer any follow up queries you have.
- We cannot provide a timescale of when your hearing will take place, as this depends on the court listing for that day.
- We will attend court on the day and meet with you before going before the court. We anticipate being at court for half a day.
- We will discuss the outcome with you. If advice is required on appeal, this will carry an additional cost.
Factors that could make a case more complex:
- Additional witnesses (additional £120 per hour)
- Expert evidence (additional disbursement payment)
- The number of witnesses and documents
- Lengthier than estimated trial (if the trial goes beyond the estimated timescale can agree a £120 refresher for each additional day of trial).
- Travel will be charged at the rate of £0.60 per mile, plus parking charges (including VAT at current rate).
How long will my matter take?
How long your case will take depends on how and where your case progresses. A case involving a guilty plea at Magistrates Court can often be sentenced and concluded on the same day. If pre-sentence reports are required, then the case can usually be concluded within 21 days.
A case that is committed from the Magistrates Court to the Crown Court for sentence can take up to 2 months to conclude.
A case involving a not guilty plea and listed for trial at the Magistrates Court will take longer, possibly 3 to 4 months depending on how soon the Court can list the trial.
A case that is sent from the Magistrates Court to the Crown Court will have first hearing at the Crown Court within 14 days of the Magistrates Court hearing. The Crown Court will then set a timetable for the rest of the case with similar timescales to those detailed above for Magistrates Court cases.
Fixed Fee for Motoring Offences (Summary Offences) £456
Guilty plea – fixed fee £456 (including VAT at current rate) plus disbursements. Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees
All (Summary) Road Traffic Offences inc. drink driving, no insurance, speeding £456-£1,800
Not Guilty plea – fixed fee of between £960 - £1800 (including VAT at current rate) plus disbursements. The fee depends on the complexity of the issues for trial, the number of witnesses and the number of days trial estimate.
Simple Case £456-£540
Simple case: One day trial, 1 to 2 witness(s), no expert evidence or additional disbursements. Fixed fee of between £456 - £540.00 (including VAT at current rate) plus disbursements.
Medium Complexity Case £600-£960
1 to 2 Days Trial, 2 to 4 witness(s), No expert evidence or additional disbursements. Fixed fee of between £600 - £960 (including VAT at current rate) plus disbursements.
High Complexity Case £1,200 - £1,800
2 to 3 Days Trial (estimate), 4 to 5 witnesses. No expert evidence or additional disbursements. Fixed fee of between £1200– £1800 (including VAT at current rate) plus disbursements.